Visit The Magnificent Addis Ababa in Ethiopia
Africa is rich in various things. From wildlife to natural minerals, they’ve all got it! For an African adventure, the best destination to enjoy not just Africa’s richest natural beauty but likewise its intriguing and distinct historical background that you’ll learn at the wonderful town of Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.
Addis Ababa is the political capital of Africa that’s home to about one hundred and twenty international embassies and missions. You may also find the UN Economic Commissions for Africa and African Union here. First thing you should explore though is the enthralling architecture enriched with modern and traditional influences in town.
The Africa Hall, Parliament Building established during the time of Emperor Haile Selassie, Addis Ababa University, modern hotels and other buildings will be passed by if you would take a stroll from Meskel Suare to Sidist Kilo. It would be nice also if you would get to drop by at the Ethiopian National Museum and discover the diverse history of Africa as one of the earliest civilizations in the entire world that cater to tons of authentic remains from thousands of years ago. Aside from that, you will likewise be wowed by the fossilized remains of a hominid called the Dinkinesh or Lucy that’s believed to be about three and a half million years old! Awesome, isn’t it? Truly, this museum is definitely worth the visit.
As promised, this town holds many features that would tell you about the harsh and oppressive past of the Ethiopian people. One of the harshest events in the vicinity is the Red Terror that is featured at the Red Terror Museum by the end of the Meskel Square. Here, you will get a glimpse at how the Ethiopian people endured the hardships that the famine brought upon their town, how they survived and how others were oppressed by the rebels. Aside from the presentation of remains and artifacts, you may also be lucky enough to hear it firsthand from the survivors of the Red Terror. Talk about revisiting history when you can actually hear it from the actual people who were there!
Here in Addis Ababa, you will also find places of worship of different origins. The most famous one of all is the St. George Cathedral that’s made its name known all over the world. It was established during the eighteenth century designed marvelously with stylish interiors adorned with mosaics and artistic paintings as well as a small museum. Another cathedral in the vicinity is the Holy Trinity Cathedral that holds the remains of Emperor Haile Selassie. By the Mercato District, you will find another religious building for the Muslims, the Anwar Mosque.
The Mercato District which is the largest of its kind in Africa is the perfect place to buy your supplies, souvenirs, or anything else under the sun. Here, you will get to practice your bargaining skills as you face different types of seller who would offer you Ethiopian artwork and textiles and many more African products. Another market in the vicinity is the Shiromeda Market where you can buy the more traditional goods. It is located between Mt. Entoto and Sidist Kilo. The malls and souvenir shops are also available for the tourists who want to shop in consolidated places.
Feeling kind of adventurous? You should go on a hiking trip to Mt. Entoto. You can do a half-day walk to the topmost part of the mountain where you will see magnificent views of town and the lustrous elements of nature surrounding it. If you didn’t like hiking, you could also reach the top by vehicle.
For the last part, I’m guessing you’d be famished eh? Head on next to the Hebesha restaurant where you will be served with authentic Ethiopian dishes and be entertained with traditional singing and dancing performances while food such as the flat bread Injera, the staple food of Ethiopia, or the heavily salted and spiced raw beef called the gored gored for those brave souls who would dare eat it! Who knows, maybe you’d wish to order for more!
More from traveltriptour
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
- A Guide To The Fun French City Of Deauville
- For Adventure Seekers - Exploring The Mulu Caves of Sarawak
- 10 Of The Most Colorful Places In The World
- Why You Should Be Amazed By Cano Cristales, Colombia's Colorful River?
- How To Overcome Your Fear Of Flying In Five Minutes
- How To Make The Most of Your Time If You Only Have 3 Days in Los Angeles
- 15 Out Of This World Themed Hotels Where You Get To Live Out Your Fantasy
- Powellooza: The Best Way To Have A Blast With The Gang On A Summer Getaway
- 10 Mistakes A Tourist Could Say That Are Offensive To Local New Yorkers
- 8 Dangerous Vacation Activities That Tourists Could Do
- Go On a Paradise Vacation Trip To Thailand The Kardashian Way 1,622 views |
- 15 Out Of This World Themed Hotels Where You Get To Live Out Your Fantasy 1,417 views |
- Blog 915 views |
- 25 Things To Do in The Philippines For The Ultimate Traveler 629 views |
- Explore the Emerging Tourist Destinations in the Philippines 579 views |
- Visit The Magnificent Addis Ababa in Ethiopia 578 views |
- Explore The Astonishing Krakow Salt Mines 471 views |
- Why You Should Visit Altea In Alicante, Spain? 417 views |
- Powellooza: The Best Way To Have A Blast With The Gang On A Summer Getaway 414 views |
- Top 3 Souvenir Shops In Brazil To Visit During The World Cup 393 views |